Friday, October 12, 2012

A Conversation With Tiffany Chou



Cottage by the Sea: Where are you from on Maui?
Tiffany Chou: I grew up in Kula and then as I got older and my relatives got older, my dad wanted to be closer to his work down in Wailuku, so we eventually we moved downtown. So that’s where my Dad’s based, now.

CBS: That’s awesome! Yeah, Kula is more upcountry, right? It’s really beautiful.
Tiffany: I love upcountry. Not as hot. We lived in Pukalani for a little too. 

CBS: At what age were you interested in art and jewelry making?
Tiffany: I guess I’ve always been interested in art, even when I didn’t know it. I won a sand castle contest when I was, like, five or something. And I think, that is where it all started even thought I didn’t know it. And then jewelry, I’ve been making jewelry and clothing since around middle school age. And then I started selling my stuff for extra cash. And then when it actually turned into a business was when I moved to New York. 

CBS: Was it difficult to start your business?
Tiffany: So, in college, after I graduated, I went to school in Chicago, I knew, I always had to eventually go to New York. It’s the epicenter of fashion. And so I moved there, and I was like, I’m going to get some experience and then I want to eventually have my own line. I had no idea how that was going to happen, at all. Like, no game plan. Then two years after living in New York, I was kinda at a point where I was like, you know, I moved here for a reason, I’ve been working for all these other people...

CBS: It’s now or never.
Tiffany: Yeah. And kinda right around that time, uh, the company I was working for, bought out a metal casting company. And so, I had been carrying my sea shells with me for some reason and they finally came into use. And I started experimenting with casting sea shells. And that is kinda where, and I was like, hey! people are interested in this stuff. ‘Cause it’s different from, you know, most. I love the shell jewelry, but, I was living on the east coast and it wasn’t really a sustainable practice for me out there. So this kind of works.


CBS: Mmmm Hmmm. Was it hard, that process?
Tiffany: Starting a business? Looking back, I have no idea how I did it? I kind of just like, went for it. Worked my butt off and I kind of just learned, everything on my own. I learned like, coding, doing a website..

CBS: yeah, the social media?
Tiffany: yeah, brush up on my photoshop.

CBS: Ahhhaha.
Tiffany: you know, photoshop and illustrator skills.

CBS: What about the actual process of like, making and silversmithing or whatever, the shells?
Because you’re very original, not a lot of people are doing this.
Tiffany: So, being in New York, I kind of gotten some great contacts and like, I was able to figure out who, you know, I could use, who could help me for casting. There’s all these different aspects that goes into one piece.

CBS: It’s crazy.
Tiffany: (giggle) It’s incredible. Yeah, just like, I was lucky. Working where I had been working, I had established some good relationships. 

CBS: That’s awesome. So, you know, why did you decide, well you kind of covered it, but why did you decide to move to New York in the first place to work, as opposed to staying in Maui or staying on Oahu?
Tiffany: I guess, yeah, I always knew I wanted to be, even though I love Hawaii, I wanted to experience that big city and New York, you know, is known for our country’s fashion. 

CBS: Yeah.
Tiffany: So, I was like, it was the only place/option, for me, and so, I guess, I kind of just went in that direction.

CBS: Well, you know, we know you’re from Maui, but what is your favorite spot when you’re at home? Like, favorite space to go to?
Tiffany: Like to eat? Or to go to?

CBS: Well..
Tiffany: Ahhahaha.

CBS: I was trying to think, if I should ask you, like, what’s you’re favorite beach but, I was like, just any place, in general?
Tiffany: I guess...

CBS: In your top five? (giggle)
Tiffany: Umm... There are some secret hikes and waterfalls on the way to Hana that I’m not going to tell anyone where they are...

CBS: Ahahah!
Tiffany: Ahahaa! I think those are...

CBS: They’re really special.
Tiffany: exactly.. They’re untouched, somewhat. Really special, beautiful places. I enjoy the whole waterfall thing, but I also enjoy diving.

CBS: Mmm, hmmm.
Tiffany: Yeah, it’s hard, I guess, I would have to say one of the secret waterfalls. But it’s a tough call...it’s a tough call...

CBS: Ahhaha. So, you know, you live in New York and you don’t get to come home every weekend and see your special waterfalls...
Tiffany: Ahhahah... I don’t get to come home ever!

CBS: (giggle)...oh, no! So um, what keeps you inspired on a daily basis? ‘Cause we know that overall...
Tiffany: Right.

CBS: it’s always been the ocean.
Tiffany: When I was little, I wanted to be a veterianarian, so I think I was always drawn to like, animal life. And then I took some marine biology courses in college.

CBS: Mmmm, hmmmm.
Tiffany: And so, I think being away from home, always, I think I’m just drawn back here. And so, I think that’s kind of, it’s, not like, I’m like, I’m going to do a line about sea shells. It kind of just, comes out that way even when it’s not planned.

CBS: From your childhood and everything?
Tiffany: And even when I try to design things that aren’t ocean related, it usually always...giggle... always ends up that way.

CBS: Ahhahha!
Tiffany: You know, I think the ocean is such a beautiful and magical place. And it’s huge. And I love watching documentaries...

CBS: Mmmm...hmmmm.
Tiffany: I love learning about the ocean. It’s just, honestly, such a fascinating place to me. Even being away, way out there. 

CBS & Tiffany: Ahhhahha!
Tiffany: And not being anywhere close that I would want to get in the water.

CBS: (giggle) Where do you see yourself in five years?
Tiffany: I definitely, hopefully, would like to, in four or five years, like to have a clothing company. Er, clothing line. Yeah, clothing and also some home goods. I have a lot of ideas for some home goods. Kind of like the asian Martha Stewart, maybe. I don’t know. (giggle)

CBS: Hahhaaa!
Tiffany: Ahhaaha!

CBS: Well, I was thinking, because I saw the bags you made, with the patterns, and I can see it on, like, towels, on clothing, on aloha print!
Tiffany: Yeah!

CBS: You know? So, I feel like, you can really expand that.
Tiffany: Yeah, that’s definitely something I’m interested in. Even when I was younger, I drew like, shoe designs. I have no idea how to do that.

CBS: (giggle)
Tiffany: Um, yeah, the thing that’s important for me is for everything to be made somewhat locally. 

CBS: And, eco-conscious too?
Tiffany: Yeah. So, that’s kind of whats been holding me back. Just ‘cause it’s so expensive.

CBS: Mmmm...hmmm.
Tiffany: But, I do think people appreciate knowing things like that.

CBS: And lastly, who is your favorite artist?
Tiffany: So, artist as in like, painting? Or, I guess all designers are considered artists.

CBS: Could be artist or designer.
Tiffany: My favorite jewelry designer is Alexis Bittar. His work is like, unbelieveable.

CBS: Ahhahaha!
Tiffany: Unbelieveable. Everytime a collection comes out it’s jaw-dropping. And also, everything is made, in Brooklyn, in New York. He started selling on the streets in New York City and like, however many years later, he’s in every single magazine. So successful. Just one of those really inspiring stories. And his work is gorgeous.

CBS: Is his work avant garde?
Tiffany: A little bit. There’s a little bit of everything. I feel like anyone could find something they’d like. You have to check it out.

CBS: I will! I’m excited!
Tiffany: And, in terms of clothing designers: Marchesa and Elie Saab. I think they’re kind of similar, in that, they’ve got that whimsical, you know...

CBS: But, modern as well?
Tiffany: Yeah. I’m definitely drawn to detail of like, lacework and sequins and stuff. They’re work is just-- unbelieveable. Very outside the box but wearable. I would die for anything from them!

CBS: Ahhaahha.
Tiffany: They’re just so, so inspiring.

CBS: Thank you so much for the interview!
Tiffany: You’re welcome. It was easy.